No matter how often you brush and floss, regular dental visits are still necessary. Clear Lake Dental Care in Webster, TX can do so much in preventing dental disease and making sure your mouth stays healthy for a lifetime. Local anesthetic has made procedures virtually pain-free, but millions of people are still afraid of the dentist. Many even postpone necessary dental care due to fear.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
If you are terrified of dental work, Clear Lake Dental Care has great news for you. We offer sedation dentistry so you can get treated comfortably. This treatment is especially useful in patients with sensitive teeth, a strong gag reflex, sensitive gums, or a fear of needles and drills.
Sedation is the use of medication to help you relax during your appointment. Sedatives can be administered through a small mask placed over your nose, taken by mouth, or injected through IV. Sedation Dentistry is used to ensure patients feel no anxiety or discomfort during treatment, with little-or-no memory of the procedure after treatment.
When used for lengthy procedures, it can seem to patients that they have only been treated for a few minutes. This also allows extensive treatments to be completed in only one or two appointments.
Advantages of Dental Sedation
If you find yourself afraid of the dentist and have even canceled appointments because of your fear, sedation dentistry is for you. Extended time periods between appointments can lead to cavities and more extensive oral work. Many procedures can be avoided with regular visits to the dentist. Here at Clear Lake Dental Care, we know the lasting effects of fear and anxiety with dentists. Dr. Das, and Dr. Pham want to replace your fear with confidence.
Don’t let your fear have a negative impact on your oral health. There are many advantages to sedation dentistry, including putting you in a completely relaxed state. This allows you to ask questions and ease your concerns. Time will pass quicker when receiving sedation due to the relaxed state they are in. Finally, your confidence will improve and patients have less fear about coming back for dental appointments.
Sedation for Dental Anxiety
At Clear Lake Dental Care we offer a range of sedation options for each patient.
- Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas): A calming effect for patients with slight dental anxiety. Wears off quickly and patients can drive themselves home after their appointment.
- Oral Sedation: A great option for patients with moderate to severe dental anxiety. Patients are very groggy and some even fall asleep during their appointment but can be awoken easily. Most patients don’t remember much about the appointment.
- IV Sedation: This requires one of our anesthesiologists to administer medications through an IV. This method of sedation is perfect for patients who have severe dental anxiety or don’t sedate well with other medications.
Dr. Das explains each sedation method offered in the office and the overall benefits for those that suffer from dental fear!
What is Nitrous Oxide?
Nitrous oxide sedation, commonly known as laughing gas, is a popular option for patients with dental anxiety. Our team may recommend nitrous oxide if you have mild to moderate dental anxiety. Nitrous oxide is one of the safest sedation methods for both children and adults. It calms your central nervous system and enables patients to have any type of dental treatment in comfort or without fear.
You will inhale the gas through a small rubber mask placed over your nose. The mask is attached to a hose and a device that adjusts the amount of nitrogen and oxygen you inhale. About 5 minutes after inhalation, you will feel the effects of nitrous oxide. Once your procedure is finished, you will be back to normal in just a few minutes. You will be able to drive yourself home after the procedure without any worry of after effects.
Nitrous Oxide for Dental Procedures
You will be awake but relaxed during the entire procedure, and you will not feel sick or feel the urge to fall asleep. Experiences vary from patient to patient, but these are common effects:
- Warmth throughout your body
- Tingling and numbness in hands and feet
- Euphoric or happy, relaxed feeling
- Limbs feeling heavy
Is Nitrous Oxide At A Dental Office Safe?
Nitrous oxide is a safe way to relax during a dental procedure. It can reduce discomfort caused by the injection of local anesthetic. Your dentist can also adjust the level of sedation as needed. Almost all healthy patients can have nitrous oxide sedation. If you have asthma, bronchitis, or other lung disorders, your dentist and your GP can help determine if nitrous oxide is right for you.
Oral sedatives are pills taken by mouth or dissolved under the tongue about an hour before the procedure. Most patients feel sleepiness and heaviness in their limbs after taking the medication. You are conscious throughout the procedure, however. If you do fall asleep, Dr. Das can easily wake you. Oral sedation is a popular option for patients who are anxious or have dental phobia. Often we use a combination of oral sedatives and nitrous oxide to ensure our patients are relaxed and comfortable during dental procedures.
Sedation Dentistry Patient Testimonial
“I went today for a deep dental cleaning. Maria did an awesome job as my hygienist! … They got me properly sedated and I had little to no discomfort. Patient and professional; which went a long way to settling my nerves! Definitely recommend these folks in a heartbeat……”
IV Sedation For Dental Treatments
IV sedation is sedatives administered via IV by a trained specialist. Your vital signs are carefully monitored with special equipment while you are under sedation. IV sedatives work faster and are more powerful than oral sedatives and it offers more predictable results. Sedatives produce different, adjustable, levels of relaxation, and the right type and dosage will depend on your health history, medications you are taking, lifestyle, and other factors.
How to Treat Dental Anxiety
When you suffer from dental anxiety, it can be a crippling feeling that will keep you away from the dentist’s office for years. We understand that it can be a tough thing to ask of you to break free of your dental anxiety all on your own. In knowing this, Clear Lake Dental Care offers numerous options, in addition to sedation dentistry, that can help you beat your dental anxiety once and for all.
- Welcoming Staff: One of the first things that you’ll notice when you come to Clear Lake Dental Care is that our staff is extremely welcoming. This welcoming feeling will extend through your entire visit with us because our staff will treat you like a member of their family.
- We Speak With You: If you have anxiety about a certain procedure, our staff will do their best to talk you through the process and assure you that there is nothing to worry about. Our staff’s confidence in the work that they do will, in turn, instill confidence in you that your procedure will go off without a hitch!
- Comfortable Waiting Area: Another way that we can ease your nerves is through making sure that you are comfortable during your entire visit to Clear Lake Dental Care. We will do this with comfortable dental chairs, a homey office atmosphere, and a relaxing waiting room.
Schedule A Consultation
One thing that you can be sure about is that each one of our doctors and our elite staff possesses the training and expertise needed to sedate you effectively and efficiently. We have worked hard over the years to get us to the point where we are considered top notch in the field of sedation dentistry in Webster, TX and the surrounding areas! We can’t wait to help ease your tension at Clear Lake Dental Care. Call 281-557-8097 to schedule a consultation today!