Tips for brushing the teeth
- Posted on: Jul 30 2021
At Clear Lake Dental Care and Implant Center of Webster, TX, our dentists are pleased to provide full service dentistry for new and established patients. One of the easiest ways for patients to safeguard their oral health and wellness is with proper oral health habits at home—including brushing. Brushing is a way of removing bacteria in the mouth that converts food particles left on the smile into acids. These acids can cause damage to the teeth in the form of tooth decay, resulting in holes called cavities. Additionally, these acids can also contribute to the formation of periodontal disease, an infection that starts in the gum tissues and spreads.
Why are cavities bad?
Many patients don’t think much about cavities because, when they are found, the dentist can use a filling to seal the tooth and keep the cavity from getting larger. However, cavities cause permanent and irreversible damage to the tooth’s structure. Fillings are effective, but need to be replaced regularly and still affect the tooth’s structure and stability, making it more susceptible to breakage. If patients have a cavity that becomes extremely large or deep, it can reach the inner chambers of the tooth called the root canals, where the dental pulp can become infected. Without further treatments, such as endodontic therapy, this tooth will require permanent extraction.
Proper brushing technique
Below are a few tips on brushing properly to reduce the risk of tooth decay and periodontal disease:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste to brush all the surfaces of the teeth and gums
- Replace your toothbrush every three months, whenever you have been sick, or if the bristles become frayed
- Brush gently, as pressure can cause unnecessary bleeding of the gums
- Brush at least two minutes with each session
- Follow with flossing at least once a day to remove food particles and bacteria between teeth that toothbrush bristles can’t reach
- Follow up with mouthwash to complete the home hygiene process
Connect with the team at Clear Lake Dental Care and Implant Center today!
Webster, TX area patients focused on maintaining a healthy smile are encouraged to book a consultation visit with Drs. Piyuse Das, An Pham, and Grisel Acevedo Rivera. Our dentists can educate you on the steps you can take to achieve oral health and wellness, starting with proper brushing techniques. Call (281) 557-8097 to request time with our dentists at our office, conveniently located at 202 West Medical Center Boulevard.