Snacks that are safe for the smile
- Posted on: Apr 15 2021
When you reach for a snack, it is vital that you pay close attention to how you are fueling your body. Not only should you avoid candy and sodas, which are high in sugar, but you should also consider how your snacks can improve your oral health. There are many snacks that can be used to provide both fuel and a healthy smile! The team of Clear Lake Dental Care and Implant Center encourages patients to think about the benefits of what they eat. Below are just a few of the healthy snacks they encourage that are not only good for your waistline, but for your smile!
- Cheese – cheese is a diary product that is high in calcium, which promotes strong, heathy teeth. It also has a protein called casein that can protect the teeth from bacteria and acids as it strengthens natural enamel. It can also replace minerals that your teeth may have lost with time. We strongly encourage string cheese, feta, ricotta, cottage, and goat cheeses.
- Yogurt – just like cheese, yogurt is also high in protein and calcium. Additionally, it provides good bacteria through probiotics that can replace bad bacteria in the mouth with good bacteria. Avoid yogurts that are high in fat with added sugars.
- Apples – an apple a day not only keeps the doctor away, but the dentist! Apples are considered “nature’s toothbrush” as their fibrous texture can stimulate saliva flow, reduce harmful bacteria, and neutralize acids.
- Almonds – almonds are one of the many nuts that are available that can help provide protein and calcium while eliminating added sugars. Protein and calcium keep teeth strong while reducing the risk of decay with low sugars.
- Carrots and celery – just like apples, carrots and celery are two fibrous vegetables that can provide some of the same benefits. They are also high in beta carotene which can build strong teeth and enamel. They are also full of water content, allowing patients to clean their teeth while eating them and wash away food particles that might contribute to decay.
Discuss other ways to protect your healthy smile
At Clear Lake Dental Care and Implant Center of Webster, TX, patients can educate themselves on the recommendations provided by their dental team in regards to improving the health and appearance of the smile. Our dentists are available for new and established patients who call (281) 557-8097 to schedule an appointment with our front office team. We are located at 202 West Medical Center Boulevard, and patients can obtain care from one of our dental providers, including Drs. Piyuse Das, An Pham, and Grisel Acevedo Rivera.